Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Autumn Trend: Military-Inspired

Last year for Christmas, I was browsing several of my favorite brands online, seeing what they had to offer, and creating a bit of a wish list. While on the Converse website, I found a pair of chucks that I wanted and was going to leave it at that when I decided to look through the apparel that they offered. I really enjoyed their laid back designs as they seemed to appeal to my 'rebellious' side. Then I came across a jacket in their outerwear section that really took me by surprise.



It was an olive green military-inspired parka that had a removable faux fur lining and fluffy brown faux fur around the hood.* They advertised it as a 3-in-1 utility jacket because you could wear it one of three ways (taking out the fur definitely makes it more spring/fall appropriate - see above). Something about it struck me as a piece that I could get a lot of use out of and it was unique to other jackets that I had been looking at for cold weather. My mother shot me a strange look when I showed it to her and gave me a hard time about making it my Christmas gift. I think she sees the light now with the impending fall trends as military styles seem to be taking over again.

Though the trend has been peeking in-and-out these past few years, I feel like this autumn it will really catch on and come into its own. Many 2012 Fall RTW runway presentations (including my personal favorite, Burberry) showed wonderful military-inspired designs from skinny cargo pants to lace-up boots and of course, the army-like utility jacket. The trend was all but cemented for me the other day when a very popular fashion blogger, Blair from Atlantic-Pacific, used a military-inspired jacket in one of her oh-so put together outfits that she called Party. She paired it with feminine pieces like a lovely Kate Spade feathered skirt and Giuseppe Zanotti leopard print heels. It looked really pulled together and fits perfectly with the summer-to-autumn transition.

I am really looking forward to using the jacket more this autumn and winter as I will be walking to work and utilizing its fur lining. Paired with thick leggings, a comfy sweater, and boots (or perhaps some lovely leopard loafers), this jacket will keep me warm and stylish. Take that mom (in a teasing way of course, I do love my mother very much)!

What autumn trends are you looking forward to this year? Some more that I'm looking to incorporate into my wardrobe include: the leather look, peplum silhouettes, borrowed-from the boys classics, and luxe detailing (especially when it comes to accessories).

:: katiegolightly x

everything is my own including opinions, photographs, and rambles alike. this is not sponsored.
*sadly, Converse is no longer offering the jacket, but many retailers have similar designs!

6 comments:

  1. Been wanting a parka like this since last December!! Need one for fall! Thanks for the follow! Will follow you as well! Yes keep checking back for updates on the line! :) :) :) If you follow me on Instagram a lotta behind the scenes type pics as well!

    Xx,
    Jess


    mintclothingcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh i LOVE instagram, i'll definitely do that! this parka was quite the find for me last year. the pictures i have up are without the lining, but with the lining it is even more amazing and comfortable. can't wait to start wearing it but it's still in the 80s here! so excited to hear more about the brand, good luck with everything!

      katie x

      (instagram: @katiegolightlyx)

      Delete
  2. I love that parka! Great find!

    http://perlaxmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i'm getting so excited for autumn, thought i'd share it with you guys!

      katie x

      Delete
  3. I love military style jackets like this :) I have about two of them myself!

    By the way, I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award if you're interested in checking it out! http://abundanceoferica.blogspot.ca/2012/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for doing this! i'm so sorry that i've been away for so long but i will definitely get around to at least answering these questions! so fun!

      katie x

      Delete

any little comment or question is appreciated.
thank you and don't forget to follow!

:: katie golightly x